Alpena Smoke and Soot Cleanup
After a kitchen fire you will find soot and an odor in everything!
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Alpena will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
- Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Different Types of Smoke
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
- Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today –989-354-4940
- Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Alpena 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
Pipe break causing water to cover living room floor
SERVPRO of Alpena is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help Call Today - 989-354-4940
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Alpena has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?SERVPRO of Alpena specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Call 989-354-4940
- About SERVPRO of Alpena
How to avoid sewage back-ups!
sewage backup in bathroom causing a bio hazard
Have you ever encountered standing water in your home after a heavy rainstorm? If water has come up through plumbing fixtures or if you have standing water over a drain in the floor or bathroom, you may be experiencing a sewer backup.
How to Prevent a Sewer Backup
You may be able to help protect your home from a sewer backup by taking the following preventive steps:
- Install a backup water valve: A plumber can install a water valve in sewer or drain lines. This valve lets sewage water flow out of the pipes, but not back in.
- Properly dispose of household waste: Items like paper towels do not decompose quickly and can contribute to plugging sewer lines if they are flushed down a toilet. And in the kitchen, be sure to properly dispose of cooking grease — if you pour it down the sink, it can harden in the pipes.
- Inspect and trim tree roots: If you have noticeable tree roots throughout your yard, you may need to have a professional trim them back to help reduce the risk of them growing into a sewer line.
While these safety tips can help minimize the risk of a sewer backup happening at your home, it’s important to remember that sewer backups aren’t typically covered by homeowners insurance policy. So, consider adding water backup coverage to your homeowners insurance policy which may help pay for repairs after a sewer backup.
Preparing for Colder Weather
Changing the filter on a furnace can help provide better heating when winter hits.
As the days grow shorter and the temperature begins to drop, it’s time to start getting your home prepared for the winter months ahead. Here's a checklist to make sure you’ve got everything all ready for winter!
A regular checkup for your furnace will extend its life, prevent carbon monoxide leaks and ensure everything is in working order.
Frozen pipes can burst, which can cause a result in a major disaster. It may require complicated fixes and result in serious flood damage if you’re not careful. To prevent this from happening, don’t completely turn off your heat when you leave the house. Keeping the temperature around 55°F will be enough to ensure pipes stay sufficiently warm.
If you’re going to be gone for an extended period turn off the water and drain the water pipes.
When you burn wood in your fireplace, there’s a chance you’re creating a buildup of what’s called creosote.This can ignite when you burn wood in the fireplace and cause a dangerous chimney fire. Scheduling an inspection annually will help reduce this risk.
Check the seals around your windows and doors. If you find the seals to be lacking, use weather stripping or caulk to seal around the frame. You should also check to see if air is escaping through your outlets. You can purchase foam gasket covers that you insert behind outlet or switch covers.
Couch upholstery cleaned
Some of you may know that SERVPRO of Alpena cleans carpets, but did you realize we clean upholstery as well?
How and when should upholstery be cleaned?
Because furniture is highly susceptible to dust accumulation and stains, it should be cleaned on a semi-regular basis. This will help to prevent fibers from breaking down and developing holes that may require specialized patching at an even higher price. Depending on the type of furniture you have, it can be fairly inexpensive to keep it in top condition.
We are equipped with a truck mounted and portable carpet extractor so weather the job is big or small we will get the job done and have your carpets looking good as new.
We use only SERVPRO products that specialize in carpets and upholstery. Call SERVPRO of Alpena today to get a free quote 989-354-4940
SERVPRO has your back
SERVPRO of Alpena understands the stress and worry that comes with a fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your life and home or business.
Our staff will always greet you with smiling faces and try to meet your ever need! We want you to feel at ease and trust that as professional technicians will handle your loss with care and restore it to the condition is once was or better!
SERVPRO of Alpena specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage. SERVPRO of Alpena can also mitigate mold and mildew from your home or business.
If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call today! 989-354-4940
We service Alpena and surrounding areas
You want to get your summer home clean before summer but can't find the time to clean it or just don't feel like doing all that handwork. SERVPRO of Alpena can make your home sparkle We have a trained cleaning technician staff that won't let you down!
SERVPRO of Alpena offers residential and commercial cleaning services. We cover from top to bottom of a home. From washing ceiling, wall, and windows, and floors, we also clean contents too! We use our special green products that are safe on any surface.
If you are looking to get you place clean and want it looking like new call SERVPRO of Alpena today to get a free quote! 989-354-4940 Our trained cleaning technicians will gladly come in get the job done.
Cleaning your duct work system necessary?
This shows the before and after of a duct.
If, done right, duct cleaning doesn't hurt; but it's not something that needs to be done unless:
- Renovation: If your home has been remodeled; especially if there was asbestos abatement, lead paint removal, or significant dust; your duct work may need to be cleaned.
- Mold: If there is visible mold growth inside the duct work, the ducts and the HVAC system should be cleaned.
- Contaminants: Pet hair, odors, or other contaminants are being released into the room through the ducts after the registers have need cleaned and vacuumed; then the ducts may need to be cleaned.
- Illness: If someone in you family is suffering from an unexplained illness, and you have taken every possible step to decontaminate, you may want to consider having your duct work cleaned.
Local gas station catches fire
This job from start to finish only took 2 days!
Local gas station has small electrical fire causing smoke and soot damage to inside of store. Any local business knows that they must be open for business know matter what the situation is. SERVPRO of Alpena take on any emergency loss 24/7. We are capable of removing damaged material and replacing with new. We have cleaning technicians that come in and inventory all damaged items. Pack out the damaged area and clean all items and the structure. Leaving your business like it never even happened!
If your business endures a loss weather it's from water, fire, storm, or even mold SERVPRO of Alpena has got you covered!
SERVPRO of Alpena cover all surrounding areas. To many to list. Call 989-354-4940 to talk to one of our restoration specialist today!
Raging wind storms are no stranger to the Alpena area
Wind storms do more damage than you would expect.
Northern MI has grown custom to mother natures bi-polar weather. One day it can be sunny and 70 and hours later it can black skies and gust of wind strong enough to blow a tree over. That tree that just so happen to blow over onto your home!
Roof damage is something you want to get fixed right away or damage from with-in could spread causing a bigger problem! Patching the hole and removing the tree are the most crucial things that need to happen first. SERVPRO of Alpena is just a phone call away! 989-354-4940 We can help fix and dry the damaged area before other materials get damaged or worse- mold begins to start!
So, when the wind is blown and you here a loud noise; don't be alarmed. SERVPRO of Alpena can assist you 24/7.